Monday, January 30, 2012

18 months.


My son is 18 months. A whole year and half! I kind of can't believe it. Or, really can't believe it if I'm being honest. It feels like just yesterday he was a toothless, giggly newborn... but that also seems like an entire world ago, too. Being a parent really changed your perception of time. Like, whoa.

I thought I'd do a little run-down of this little guys development. He's such a total joy and he amazes me with something new every day. Every single day. He's just so awesome.

Physically: He weighs 22 pounds and is 32.5 inches. He is a little skinny minnie! He has his daddy's skinny legs. Recently he's starting to put on some chub around his face and around his belly... We think he's going to have another growth spurt soon because of that. He grew 1 inch in 3 months - staying right in the 50% percentile for height. Weight he's in the 15%. (Only including the averages because they really help to see where our kid is. We know he's healthy and that is all that matters... but for those of us with little knowledge of how much toddlers weigh or how tall they are... I think the percentages help).


Verbally: He will say "no", "duck", and "hi" really, really well. He can also make a lot of animal sounds. But still not a lot of words. We asked Dr. W about this and he said it's nothing to worry about - he'll talk when he's good and ready. And he wouldn't be surprised if one day he just wakes up talking in full sentences. Who knows if that will happen. He also gave us some encouragement by saying kids with really good comprehension sometimes will take longer to talk. I can ask him to do just about anything - throw this away, come lay on the floor (to change diapers), pick up your toys, hand mommy a book, let's go upstairs/downstairs/to take a bath/eat/go night night - and he totally understands. He doesn't always oblige, but I know he knows what I'm saying. So, I'm not worried at all... just anxious for the words to start, I guess. Also, he's getting very frustrated and I think (I hope.) that this will help a little once his vocabulary grows and he can express himself more fully. Dr. W also said to make a list of the words he can say right now and if in 3 months that list hasn't tripled we may consider speech therapy to help him out. But also that no worries, someday he will talk.

Socially: I am nannying a 6 month old for one more week - he greets her every morning with a "Hi!" and a super big smile. He'll also give her hugs and kisses throughout the day. It's pretty adorable and makes me confident he's going to be the best big brother around :) He does not like to share, though. Any toy I hand to little A, little man will snatch it away and say "NO" We also have play dates with a little boy a year older than C and every time they get together C is just more and more interested in playing with him. He's started giving him hugs... pretty adorable. He is still not at all a fan of the nursery at church (or really anywhere where Mommy is not in eyesight). We have enrolled him in a 2 year old preschool starting in the fall to hopefully help with this anxiety... the directors assured me they've never had anyone need to quit due to crying - I'm praying C won't be the first!



Sleep: He goes to bed around 7 or 8 and will wake up around 6:45 or 7. He's taking one nap - usually from 12 - 2. But every once in awhile he's a stink and won't go to sleep so he'll take his nap in between 1 and 2 and wake up whenever. These days are really frustrating for mommy because I'm used to having just a bit of me time around noon and I might be cranky when I don't get it...

Eating: His favorite things are blueberries and spaghetti (with any kind of noodle). Some days he will tear up something and the next day he will have absolutely zero interest in it. He doesn't eat a ton but so long as I'm offering 3 meals a day... I feel like that's all I can do. We don't do many snacks (except for mum-mums on occasion)  because since he doesn't eat much as it is... I don't want to fill him up on snacks in between meal times. He loves milk and has at least 2 cups a day (but I really try not to offer more than that unless it's a day where he's not eating much) He also sometimes pretends his different foods are either airplanes or cars... taking playing with your food to a whole new meaning. It is pretty cute though. :)



Struggles: I don't know if it's the combination of being pregnant with a toddler or him cutting four teeth at once or what but OH MAN he has been quite a handful! He's starting to throw some pretty wicked tantrums. If we're out and about and he wants to walk around - I make him hold my hand. Well, now he will say "NO" and sit down in the middle of an aisle rather than walk and hold my hand. Yesterday he wanted to help push the cart at Babies R Us and he couldn't go the way he wanted so he threw himself onto the floor and shed some tears. M and I haven't figured out the best way to deal with these tantrums - right now we just are trying to shrug them off and laugh (they last less than a minute most of the time and his passion really is kind of humorous - I know that part is going to get old real quick) But a big part of me worries I'm going to end up on one of those how-to-teach-your-toddler-to-be-disciplined shows because I'm going to do something wrong and mess him all up. 

All in all, things are going really, really great. There are new challenges that come up at every stage but these new challenges definitely seem like the biggest ones so far. I'm sure I'll say that as the next ones arise as well. But we're getting through it. We're just praying we're making the right decisions and that we don't screw him up too much. :) Really though, I wouldn't change this kid for anything. He's a total wonder and we are just so proud he's ours. Children are truly a gift... and we want to remember to cherish him... even when that seems pretty tricky like when he's wailing on a dirty department store floor because everything is not going as he wishes. But like I said, we're working on it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment