Tuesday, July 17, 2012

updates on our big brother


One of big brother's favorite things to do is "hod hur" translation: hold her. It's pretty sweet. In the photo above he was pointing out different body parts on sister. We're trying to keep him as involved as possible. When he sees me changing sister's diaper - he wants a diaper change, too.

The one word I can think to describe our son as we've brought home a sibling for him is understanding. My first trip out alone with both of them was to Em's two week check-up. He was a dream. He took a train from the play area in the waiting room and when we got called back he put it back without me asking. He got a little impatient towards the end of the visit and when I asked Dr. W to check out the dermabond on his face he got a little upset but other than that no problems.

My second trip out alone with my two babies was to Target. And he did awesome - he sat in the cart the entire time. I was just so impressed with him.

And for naps... we normally read books and sit together for about a half hour and it's a really special, nice time for us both. But lately sister cries when we start nap time or at some point before I leave his room. So our time is cut by... 20 minutes. If she's not crying I spend my usual time with him but it seems to never fail that both kids need me quite a bit at this time of day. But he's just been very understanding when I tell him I have to go check on the baby. If he's not asleep and I come back to read with him more sometimes he'll say "check baby?"

He has started waking up a bit in the night or waking up at 5. Last night he fell asleep in our bed at 5 (thank goodness!) and slept till 7, but he's been ready to go at 5. Meaning he's taking a four hour nap in the afternoon. And I'm not about to wake him. He still goes to bed between 8 and 9.

The only other thing - he's sort of acting out maybe? He's started drawing on our couch. We recently got rid of our coffee table so all the pens/markers got moved to the side table next to the couch. Both the coffee table and the side table had child 'locks' on them but the one of the side table didn't stand a chance. He got in there and just drew all over the couch. He conveniently does this the few moments he's in the living room alone. He's done this three times now. Good thing that couch was just $200 and we have no attachment to it. Unfortunate that people now see a very marker decorated couch when they come over making us look like maybe not the best parents, ha.

We've not been watching TV during the day either. Something I'm super impressed with myself for... when I was pregnant I was just so tired. And I'm more tired now but not as physically exhausted. Sometimes we'll watch before dinner or something but only for about 10 minutes. This could change - but for now... I'm a happy momma to be able to sit and run around a little easier!


But in all, things are good. Really, really good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment